Friday, May 25, 2012

Low Carb Rant

I wanted to name this entry "low carb" because I think there is a misconception about exactly what we are doing. I know Kathy has stated that our eating focuses around high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. First off, I would like to say that she is correct, but we do not strive or focus on being low carb. It just happens that way because there are only a few carbohydrate-rich foods that I want anymore. Truth be known, after cutting grains and sugars, there aren't many carbohydrate-rich foods left to choose from, except fruits and starchy veggies. I can eat a ton of spinach, mustard greens, kale, romaine lettuce, or any other leafy green and never get close to 100 grams of carbohydrate in a day. Let me also state that 100 grams of carbs is only low when compared to the SAD (Standard American Diet) which is closer to 300+ grams a day. Furthermore, 100 grams is considered very high for a low carb diet like Atkins. I would estimate that my carb count falls somewhere between 50 to 75 grams on an average day.

This is where it becomes hard to explain to anyone what Kat and I are doing. When we try to explain, we get the response, "OH, you are doing the low carb thing?". I do understand the confusion, but it is also a little frustrating. Most people associate low carb diets with Atkins and picture a follower consuming tons of hot dogs, bacon, burgers, all types of fat, fried cheese, pork skins, and little to no veggies. While we do implement the bacon, burgers, healthy fats, and pork skins into our diet, it does not constitute our whole diet.

I would also like to state, and unknown to some, that we do offer ourselves some slack. We give in and have some fried, flour-coated seafood or chicken. We have cheesecake or my sister-in-law's awesome hummingbird cake on occasion. We do realize the importance of enjoying the taste of those foods that we chose to exclude from our normal everyday menu. It also gives you a chance to realize what those excessive carbs and sugar are doing to your body on a daily basis. You feel like absolute crap after one of those meals. I mean, hangover bad. If that doesn't tell you something, then I don't know what does. I think that grain supporters are so hell bent on proving that their diet is right, that they can't see the forest for the trees. They must be right or everything that has been learned is wasted time. Believe me, I am not out to prove anyone wrong. I just think that it's time to re-evaluate what we have been told for so long, because it's not working.

Why is a bowl of pasta better than a bowl of nice, rich, green veggies? What do grains have that my veggies don't? I am gonna pose a question to the naysayers. I shouldn't have to answer your questions on why I do not eat grains. My question to you is, "Why should I eat grains?".  They are a cheap source of calories, and the nutrient contents pales in comparison to veggies. And besides, you are not going to absorb all that is listed on the side of that box of grains because of the phytates. Lectins, which are found in grains and legumes, damage your gut lining, resulting in intestinal permeability and setting the stage for autoimmunity. Can you say arthritis, gout, or one of the many other conditions caused by systemic inflammation, anyone?  I can also make the argument that complex carbs are not as good as advertised either. They still end up as glucose in the blood stream. Although the transformation is slowed a bit by the added fiber content, it makes the transformation to our good friend glucose nevertheless.

Okay, let me set this up. First and foremost, the body sees excess glucose as toxic. Think about that for just a second. The buildup of glucose in the bloodstream is what causes breakdown of tissue in the limbs in diabetics because of the inability to produce enough insulin to push the excess glucose into fat stores for safe keeping. I think almost everyone can think of one person that has had to have an appendage or limb amputated because of this. Yes, the body can use glucose as fuel. Most grain advocates say it's the body's preferred fuel. Here is where I strongly disagree. Your body burns excess glucose first to prevent it from building to levels that are harmful to the body. It then turns the rest to stored fat. What happens when you bombard your body daily with food that is converted to glucose? Obesity, diabetes, and metabolic disorder are just a few things that come to mind. The pancreas is not designed to pump out insulin all day long, but that is exactly what happens with that bagel, biscuit, whole wheat bread, baked chips, juice, soda, sweet tea, HFCS in condiments, rice, and cereal bar that's consumed everyday. When does the body have time to burn off fat? It doesn't. Now we are off to the treadmills to burn off all this extra glucose that could have been avoided in the first place.

I could go on and on about this subject but I would probably bore you all into oblivion. I just wanted to make a point and maybe even spark something in some of you to start digging and research for yourselves. We are depending on the USDA and the food industry to have our well being in mind, but they don't. If that were the case, you wouldn't see "Heart Healthy" on a bottle of canola oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment