Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Butternut Breakfast Hash

Happy Halloween! I found an awesome recipe on facebook this morning. The original recipe is found here. I wasn't looking for a new breakfast, but when I read the ingredients (bacon, butternut squash, apples, and onions), I had to try it. In fact, I still had butternut squash and onion left from my last CSA basket that I needed to use since my new share begins today, so this was perfect. This didn't take that long to make. I made a few small changes to the ingredients, but went almost exactly by the original poster's instructions. I think it was wonderful. The pan got cleaned out. This was my first hash, ever, and I will definitely have to experiment with more! Hope you enjoy!


Butternut Breakfast Hash

3 c butternut squash, diced
1 1/2 cups apples, diced 
1/2 medium onion, chopped
6 strips bacon
2 TB coconut oil 
salt & pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to broil. 

After prepping the ingredients, heat a large skillet over medium heat. 

While the skillet is heating up, spread the diced butternut squash out evenly onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place under the broiler. Check and flip/stir the squash every 3-5 min til it just starts to brown in spots. Watch that it doesn't burn too much. Remove from the oven.  
Add the oil to the skillet and then the chopped onions, cook until they just start to caramelize then remove from the pan. 

Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook in the pan to your liking. 

If you feel there is too much fat left in the pan (for your taste) pour some of it out into a dish. Then add all the ingredients together...the squash, apples, cooked onion, and the bacon. Continue to cook and stir the hash until the apples just begin to soften. It helps to spread the hash evenly around the pan, then let it sit for a moment before continuing to flip/stir it around again. This will help it to 'brown' instead of steam itself, which could result in a soggy hash.

Remove from the heat. If desired, add salt & pepper. (We enjoyed ours without the s&p and with a side of eggs.)




No comments:

Post a Comment