Thursday, October 25, 2012

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

I've been getting tomatillos in my CSA basket the past few weeks and have tried a few different recipes. They are quite citrus-y so I rather use them sparingly. My favorite way, so far, is as a salsa. I found the original recipe here, and of course, I've altered to our liking, which excludes cilantro, lime, and just used a tiny piece of hot pepper. If you like those things, then be sure to add them and adjust the ingredients to your liking. Roasting the tomatillos really seems to bring out more flavor. This is a pretty simple recipe that doesn't take a lot of time to make. I've had one jar of this salsa stored in my fridge for several weeks and it's doing great. I like to add about a 1/3 cup of it to taco meat for a delicious taco salad. If you have any tomatillo recipes, I'd love to read them!

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
  • 1-2 lb tomatillos
  • hot pepper (I used a small piece for a touch of heat)
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp pink salt
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 TB olive oil
Peel tomatillos and rinse to remove the sticky residue. Place tomatillos and pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven 4" underneath broiler. Broil for 10 minutes, turning often, about every 3-4 minutes. Place pepper, garlic, salt, chili powder, and onion powder in a blender and process til smooth. Then add tomatillos (and cilantro, onion, and lime if using those). Pulse until roughly chopped, or more if you like. Stir in olive oil. I store mine in old salsa jars in the refrigerator.





No comments:

Post a Comment