Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Easy Broiled Salmon & Mashed Po-turnips

I first made this salmon a couple months ago, using a recipe I found in Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. I picked up my copy at Costco. Her recipe uses rosemary, which was surprisingly good, but after eating it four times in a row, I was ready for something a little different. I didn't do anything fancy, I just skipped the rosemary and added black pepper. It is such an easy recipe, and I love how the salmon cooks under a Low Broil, firm and flaky. I don't think I'll ever go back to Bake for my salmon. For the mashed Po-turnips, I just eye-balled everything. It's the first mashed white anything that I've made without dairy, that I really liked. As soon as my youngest saw it on her plate, she said "I don't wike that!" Obviously, she remembered my last attempt at mashed turnips, which wasn't so great. That's why I decided to use half turnips and half potatoes this time, to tone down the strong turnip taste...that, and I needed to stretch the two turnips from last week's basket that I needed to use before tomorrow. My rule is that you have to try one good bite of everything on your plate. And she did. I got a "Not bad!" So here are the recipes. Hope you enjoy!


Lemon Broiled Salmon
1 lb wild salmon filet (whole or in portions), thawed
2 TB coconut oil (or FOC-fat of choice) 
1 lemon
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to low broil setting. Spread thin layer of coconut across bottom of baking dish. Place salmon in the dish and sprinkle with s&p. Add more pats of coconut oil on top of the salmon, and top with slices of lemon. Broil 10-12 minutes or til salmon is cooked to your liking.


Mashed Po-turnips
2 large turnips, peeled and chopped
2 large red potatoes (or equal to the amount of turnips), peeled and chopped
1 TB bacon fat (or FOC)
S&P
Garlic Powder
1/3 cup coconut milk (full fat, canned)

Add turnips and potatoes to boiling, salted water. Return to gentle boil and cook til tender (the turnips will probably take a little longer than the potatoes, that's fine). Drain well, and return to hot pot. Make sure the stove is turned off and place pot back on stove eye. This will help remove any excess water. Use a potato masher to smash the veggies. Add the bacon fat while potatoes are still hot and stir well. Season with s&p and garlic powder to your liking. Add about 1/3 cup coconut milk, or just enough to make the "potatoes" smooth and creamy. Stir well and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment