Monday, May 14, 2012

Chicken Salad Recipe

I forgot to take a picture of this week's CSA basket, and I haven't gotten my list from our farmer yet, so please bear with me as I don't even know what some of the vegetables are called! If y'all know the names, leave me a comment! Tonight, we sauteed two organic squashes: yellow summer and a very pale green, softball-sized squash. Used coconut oil and butter for the sautee. Our salad was a mix of several different organic greens & stems: beet leaves, red chard (i think), some other chard with a white stem, and spinach. We also added some other gourd from our basket which tasted like a cross between cucumber and zucchini. It was shaped like a zucchini and was mostly pale green. My grape tomatoes are organic and came from Kroger. I absolutely LOVE getting our "surprise baskets" each week. Like I said, we sometimes don't even know what some of it is, initially, but we know it is organic and healthy! So we just taste it to see whether we want it raw or cooked and roll with it. We just chop up or cook up whatever we have from our basket, add a meat and some fat, and we are good to go! We really don't eat fancy, but I think eating a lot of color makes it look fancy. Now on to the chicken salad. I used cold chicken from yesterday's rotisserie, added 1/4 cup onion since I was out of celery (I love celery in this!), celery seed, and onion powder. I wait til the last minute to add the chopped bacon so it's nice and crispy! Hope you enjoy!

Chicken Salad
4 thick slices bacon, cooked, roughly chopped
2.5 cups diced cooked chicken (leftover rotisserie works well)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
1/2-3/4 cup full fat mayo

Mix together. Serve on lettuce leaf or on top of a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment