Friday, May 25, 2012

Squash Casserole Recipe

I always loved Mama's squash casserole. I took her recipe and made a few tweaks, the main change was replacing bread crumbs with grated parmesan. I usually add a little butter, but I forgot this time. And to me, I thought something about this version was most like Mama's, yet. I'm glad I wrote down my tweaks, cause I'll be making it this way from now on! In memory of Mama...

Squash Casserole
  • 5 cups squash, bite-sized pieces
  • little salt, for boiling water
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp onion flakes
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup parmesan
  • 1 egg
Drop squash into boiling, lightly-salted water. Return to a boil. Boil gently for 3-4 minutes, just enough to slightly tenderize the squash. Drain well. Mix drained squash, remaining seasonings, 4 oz cheese, parmesan, and egg. Turn into a greased 8x8 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment