Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fruit Talk

I wanted to make a little post on fruit. We love fruit. It's natural, it's sweet and juicy. But...Keith and I, for the most part, only have a little low-sugared fruit each day. The girls have a little more. Let me explain why we limit ourselves.

Fruit contains sugar (primarily fructose). In nature, fructose is found with fiber. The fiber in whole fruits slows the sugar absorption and eases the load on the liver. This makes fruit easier to consume, but, it can still be stored as fat. Because of agricultural selection, many fruits we consume today have become sweeter than as found in nature...more fructose and less fiber. Fruits weren't always available year round. So it seems our fruit is sweeter and much more readily available than nature intended. I think it's always a good idea to eat in season, whether it's fruit or vegetables.

Fruit juice is not a fruit! I don't care what the label says, whether it's "100% Juice or No Sugar Added", it should say "100% SUGAR!" That's all it is. Fruit-Fiber=Fructose. After removing the fiber, it's just fructose. It's the same as handing your kids pure sugar. Give them whole fruits instead. Why do they remove the fiber? Somewhere along the way, someone figured out that the fiber makes fruit spoil, and by removing the fiber, shelf life is increased.

For those seeking fat loss, I think it's a good idea to limit fruit intake. Some people have found that when they remove fruit, after hitting a fat loss plateau, they begin to lose fat again. The levels of fruit sugar range from very low to very high. I would stick to low sugared fruits as much as possible when trying to lose fat. Always try to eat them whole. Smoothies can also hinder fat loss. If you are not seeking fat loss, then, by all means, have more fruit. Fruit is very healthy with lots of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and much more. I've made a list that I keep on the fridge, showing the various sugar levels in common fruits.

Fruits Lowest in Sugar: Lemon, Lime, Rhubarb, Raspberries, Blackberries, Cranberries


Fruits Low-Med in Sugar: Strawberries, Papaya, Watermelon, Peaches, Nectarines, Blueberries, Cantaloupes, Honeydew Melons, Apples, Guavas, Apricots, Grapefruit


Fruits Fairly High in Sugar: Plums, Oranges, Kiwi, Pears, Pineapple


Fruits Very High in Sugar: Tangerines, Cherries, Grapes, Pomegranates, Mangos, Figs, Bananas, Dried Fruit

I hope this helps shed some light on fruit consumption. While whole fruits are natural, they should be limited in seeking fat loss. My children are not seeking fat loss, of course, so I let them have a bit more. They eat fruit every day, but not all day. We think it's important that they get the bulk of their carbs from vegetables. You can also listen to your body. I have banana on occasion, but if I eat more than 1/4 banana, I get a little sleepy, which tells me I've had too much. Same for Keith. We just feel better when eating less fruit and ones on the lower sugar end. Fruit is dessert and a treat at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment