Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's for Supper? Meat Muffins, Chips, & Cobbler

We hope you all had a wonderful July 4th holiday! Ours was fun and tiring, and we enjoyed every minute of it! I apologize for not posting any recipes over the past week. I do love a day away from the kitchen, but it also puts me behind on my produce prepping and cooking. I have spent most of the past week catching up. I finally have a couple new recipes to share with y'all. Supper tonight was Meat Muffins, Homemade Chips, and leftover Peach Cobbler. Hope you enjoy!



Meat Muffins
  • 1 lb grass-fed beef
  • 1 small zucchini
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
Preheat oven to 350°.  Grate carrot and zucchini. Squeeze excess water out of veggies by hand. Add veggies to large bowl, along with all the other ingredients. Combine ingredients together. Lightly grease muffin pan with coconut oil. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the tins, and lightly pack. Bake for 35 minutes til browned on top and meat cooked through.
* This is a great way to get more veggies in, and I think these would also be good on the go or for kids' school lunches.


Homemade Chips
  • purple potatoes, very thinly sliced
  • coconut oil
  • salt
 This is not a new recipe, but these chips are so good that I had to show them off again. These potatoes are from our CSA Basket. They are loaded with polyphenols (antioxidants), and they make an awesome chip when fried in coconut oil and seasoned with salt! They do take a little time to prepare, but I say if you're wanna eat "junk food", then make it yourself. It will save you money, and you can make a much healthier version at home.

We ate the meat muffins like we normally eat our burgers...with a lettuce wrap, tomato, onion, and mustard. Chips on the side.

Last night, I attempted my first "real food" cobbler, with no added sweetener. It was not your typical cobbler with lots of sugar; it was only slightly sweet. My peaches were quickly spoiling, so I had to do something with them, and this is what I ended up with. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and I thought it was pretty good, but I have to say I thought it was much better the second night. Here's a picture of the leftovers we had tonight:
Peach Cobbler
  • 5 large peaches (about 6 cups, diced)
  • cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 egg
  • 3 TB coconut oil
  • raw honey (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Pour bite-sized peaches into baking dish. Add 1 TB cinnamon, stir well. (Optional: drizzle honey on top of fruit.) In a medium bowl, beat egg, add almond meal, coconut oil, and 2 tsp cinnamon. Mix well. Crumble almond meal mixture on top of fruit. Bake 35 minutes or til topping is browned. You can also broil a couple minutes to darken your topping. *This would probably be good with some whipped heavy cream topping or milk!



No comments:

Post a Comment