Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Vegetable Pancakes

Here's a quick and easy meal idea that puts your protein, fat, and veggies all in one. While I love roasted squash and zucchini, I believe my kids are growing tired of them, so I was happy to find this recipe on Mark's Daily Apple. I whipped these up at lunch and the girls tore them up! The edges are crispy and the center soft, like a pancake. You can make these with carrots, squash, radish, zucchini, turnips, or a combination as I did. The traditional Latke is made with potatoes, so this is a nice alternative for those of us who prefer to limit the really starchy stuff. I would, however, like to try these with a little sweet potato! Hope you enjoy!

Vegetable Pancakes
  • 3 cups grated vegetable of choice
  • 2 pastured eggs, beaten
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Oil for frying (coconut oil or bacon grease works well)
Take about 1 cup of grated vegetables at a time, place in a dish towel, and squeeze out as much water as you can from the vegetables. Beat the eggs in a bowl, then add the vegetables and s&p. Heat skillet over Med to Med-Lo heat. Add a good coating of oil to the pan. Once oil is hot, add heaping TB of pancake mixture (about 1/4 c or so) into oil and lightly pat with fork into a small patty shape. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or til nice and browned. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment