Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ovis Hill Trip

I LOVE Ovis Hill Markets! Not only are Mr. Charlie and the gang such nice people, but you can really tell they care about where our food comes from and work really hard to provide us with awesome, nutrient-rich foods. This is good for us, the animals, and the environment. Win-win. I feel very fortunate to be able to buy foods grown in my home state by local farmers. And it all just tastes so darn good! I enjoy shopping at the markets about once a month to get a lot of our staples. This was a great trip today...BACON!!!

Lamb Soup Bones $2/lb - $17.32
Pastured Pork products (Bacon, Sausage links and rolls) $7.99/lb - $68.47
Pastured Whole Chicken $3.89/lb - $17.14
Organic Produce (Romaine, Collards, Bok Choi, Bell Peppers) & Local NC Apples - $13.60
2 lb Grass-Fed Butter - $10
Pastured Eggs $4/dz - $24
Local, Raw Honey, pint - $6.75
Total Cost: $160.43


I also picked up two of my half beef shares that I paid for back in September when I purchased 1/8 of a cow, as explained here. This works out to about $5.67/ lb for all my grass-fed beef. Today, I received 3 sirloin steaks, 1 T-bone, 2 roasts, 4 hamburgers, 2 stew beefs. Buying in bulk is a great way to save on grass-fed beef. We will be going back to our full beef share next time as my freezer is starting to look bare. Actual cost for this beef pickup was $96.67.

No comments:

Post a Comment