Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Roasted Vegetables

During the summer, my favorite go-to for quick and tasty vegetables was roasting. Once again, roasting has come to the rescue for my starchy Fall vegetables. I don't feel as well when I eat a lot of carbs earlier in the day, so I try to eat these starchier foods later in the day. Some evenings, I just don't feel like being creative or even having to think too much about supper. So, I've been roasting away the past week or so. Each time, I was surprised how well the veggies came out. I think roasting really brings out good flavors in vegetables. Add a healthy fat, some simple seasonings, and you're good to go. I kept the same basic routine: peel, chop, s&p, coconut oil, and bake. That's it. So far, it has worked on everything. Here's what I've tried:

Roasted Turnips/Rutabagas
Wash well. Remove leaves (save greens for a sautee) and roots (compost). Use a vegetable peeler to remove outer layer of rutabagas (you can leave the outer layer on the turnips). Chop into bite-sized pieces. Spread across a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour on 2-3 TB melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly. Bake 450° for 45 minutes or til fork-tender. Serve warm.

*We tore these up. The rutabagas were slightly sweet and no one hesitated with the turnips mixed in. (My girls, who eat almost anything, did NOT like my mashed turnips last week, so I was glad to see them enjoy them cooked a different way.)

Roasted Beets
Wash beets to remove all dirt. Remove leaves (save greens for a saute) and roots (compost). Use a vegetable peeler to remove outer layer of beets. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Spread across a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour on 2-3 TB melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly. Bake 450° for 45 minutes or til fork-tender. Serve right away.

*These are my second favorite way to eat beets (beet chips are still #1). These were buttery and sweet and almost tasted like candy. The caramelized edges were like chewing sugar...yum!

Roasted Butternut Squash
Use a vegetable peeler to remove outer layer of butternut squash. Use a knife to remove top stem and bottom to creat a flat surface. Stand squash right-side up and cut in half lengthwise. Scooop out seeds and strings with a tablespoon. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Spread across a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour on 2-3 TB melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly. Bake 450° for 45 minutes or til fork-tender. Serve hot!

*These did not crisp and only slightly browned, but, they were SO tender and SO SWEET (mine had been sitting in my dark cabinet for a week and was plenty ripe). I totally over-did it tonight on these things, opting for seconds instead of dessert.

Roasted Potatoes
(Sorry, I forgot to photograph!)
Peel and chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Spread across a baking sheet. Finely chop a small onion and add to the potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika, pepper, and plenty of salt. Pour on 2-3 TB melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly. Bake 450° for 45 minutes or til browned and fork-tender. Cool slightly before serving.

*Normally, I just roast potatoes with bacon grease or other animal fat I have on hand, but I figured I'd try my luck with coconut oil this time, and I think they turned out wonderfully. The potatoes didn't burn, the edges crisped, and the onions were a perfect flavor compliment.

I've also heard cauliflower roasted with garlic powder and evoo was really good. I'll be trying that when I get more cauliflower! Do y'all have any favorite roasted veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment