Monday, May 21, 2012

Shrimp Alfredo Recipe

You don't have to give up Italian on a primal/paleo lifestyle. I love Alfredo! I have 2 different sauce recipes, this one a bit more economical, using cream cheese to reduce the amount of heavy cream needed. I'll share the other version at a later time. Both are rich sauces, so making once in a while holds my "fix" for alfredo for quite a while. My favorite part was always the sauce, so I really don't mind using a noodle replacement like squash. I just thinly sliced that mysterious large squash from my CSA basket, and poured the alfredo sauce on top. The squash was firm, like Al Dente noodles, and I really enjoyed it. I have also made this using boiled spaghetti squash, and it was also delicious. But spaghetti squash is not in season, and so if you find it at the grocery store right now, chances are it's gonna be expensive and traveled far to get there. I priced one a few months ago at $9, so I'll be holding out for cooler weather! Try to shop in season. This will get you the best deals and the freshest foods! I served the shrimp alfredo along-side a salad, using more fresh produce from the basket and drizzled leftover shrimp sautee sauce on top. You can also make Chicken Alfredo if you like! Hope you enjoy!

Shrimp Alfredo

1) Thinly slice squash of your choice. If you want a softer "noodle", I have read you can sprinkle with salt and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes, or lightly steam or sautee til desired consistency.
2) Peel shrimp and sautee in butter, s&p, garlic powder, minced garlic, or spices of your choice.
3) Alfredo sauce:
  • 1/2 cup real butter
  • 1 (8 oz) cream cheese bar, softened
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 3 oz shredded parmesan (or substitute with an additional 1/2 cup grated parmesan)
  • 1/8 tsp+ pepper
      Melt butter in a medium saucepan over Med to Med-Lo heat. Add cream cheese, garlic powder, and minced garlic, stirring with wisk til smooth. Add water. Add heavy cream, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in parmesan (grated and shredded) and pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with additional cream (or water) if cooked too long.
4) Broccoli (optional): cook as directed or lightly steam fresh.
5) Combine shrimp and broccoli with alfredo sauce. Serve on top of squash "noodles".

No comments:

Post a Comment