Monday, July 23, 2012

Almond-Meal Bread

I do a LOT of cooking and for my husband to say "I've got supper" is a real treat. Luckily, I am married to a wonderful man who also happens to be a great cook! We all gathered at the dinner table to find sun-dried tomato & pesto sausage from our recent Ovis Hill trip, served with homemade tomato sauce, zucchini, green beans, and...BREAD??? Imagine my surprise to find homemade bread on my dinner table. But this is not your ordinary bread...oh no. It's made with almond meal! He found an online recipe here that uses almond flour. He substituted with almond meal and added a bit of Italian seasonings to blend with the rest of our meal. And, it only took him about an hour to make. It was wonderful! Warm, a little nutty, slighty sweet, and moist. I had a small piece, at first, (with butter, yum!) and I felt guilty for eating bread, even though I had no reason at all to feel guilty. We agreed that it tasted a lot like cornbread and would also go great with chili. So this recipe is definitely a keeper. I think it has lots of potential for banana nut bread or zucchini bread. Hope you enjoy!

Almond-Meal Bread
  • 2½ cups almond meal (found here)
  • ½ tsp sea salt 
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 TB honey 
  • ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
  • Italian Seasonings (optional)
In a large bowl, combine almond meal, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add honey and vinegar. Stir wet ingredients into dry. Scoop batter into a small, well greased loaf pan. Bake at 300° for 45-55 minutes on bottom rack of oven; until a knife comes out clean. Cool and serve. Number of Servings: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment