Thursday, July 26, 2012

Another Eggplant Lasagna Night

I loved our last lasagna so much, I have been ready to make more! That, and the fact that I had LOTS of eggplant from our CSA basket that we needed to use! This time I made a double batch and used slightly different ingredients, so I'm rewriting the recipe here in case you want to try this one. I skipped the added oil because the pork has extra fat, and since it comes from pastured pigs, we don't mind eating the fat. (Remember: FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT...REFINED CARBS LIKE SUGAR AND WHEAT DO!) Feel free to drain your meat fat and use another healthy option like olive or coconut oil, if you prefer. Most of my cooking really just comes down to using what we have on hand. I had Rotelle sitting in the cabinet forever, it had actually just expired, so I figured I'd throw that in. I worried it might be too spicy for the girls, but it wasn't at all. I think it turned out pretty awesome. My youngest had 3 helpings, I think it's her favorite way to eat eggplant, too. I served with fried okra on the side.

Paleo Eggplant Lasagna

  • 4 medium eggplants
  • salt
  • 1 lb ground pastured pork (from US Wellness Meats) 
  • 1 lb grass-fed beef (from Ovis Hill)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
  • Italian seasoning
  • Basil
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • 1 can organic tomato paste (6 oz)
  • 14 oz can organic diced tomato, drained
  • 10 oz can Rotelle Original, drained
  • 6 oz can pitted black olives, drained and sliced
Peel eggplants and remove ends. Slice into 1/4" rings. Place in colander and sprinkle with salt in between each layer. Set aside. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add ground pork, breaking up the meat with a spatula. Add beef and break up well. Add onion, minced garlic, and zucchini. Season with plenty of Italian spices, basil, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook til meat is browned. Add tomato paste, stir well. Add drained tomatoes and stir well. Season with salt and simmer for at least 10 minutes, the longer the better. Lightly grease 9x9 casserole dish. Blot eggplant with a paper towel to remove excess juices. Place half the eggplant in a layer across the bottom of the dish. Add half the meat mixture on top of eggplant. Spread evenly. Add sliced olives for next layer. Top olives with remaining eggplant. Lastly, top with the remaining meat mixture. Spread evenly. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly and eggplant has started turning translucent. Remove from oven, leave covered and go run an errand (we went to the market) and work up a good appetite. Come home to a warm and satisfying meal. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment