Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dark Chocolate Coconut Cake



I made this cake for my daughter's birthday this past weekend. I thought it turned out very well. It's not as sweet as the usual birthday cakes, but that was the point for us, to make a delicious cake, with wholesome ingredients that still fell into our Paleo lifestyle. My husband has never cared much for cakes because they were always "way too sweet", but he really liked this one. I think it's important to still have birthday indulgences, yet I tried to keep the menu mostly compliant with our dietary lifestyle...mainly because I didn't want to feel like crap for the next few days from consuming excessive amounts of sugar and wheat. We made hot dogs, chili, deviled eggs, fruits, veggies, dips, pork skins, chocolate chip cookies, and cake. We also served regular potato chips and hot dog buns for anyone who wanted those.



Dark Chocolate Coconut Cake

Cake:
  • 10 pastured eggs
  • 1 cup coconut oil, unrefined
  • 1 cup raw honey
  • 1 TB vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  Preheat oven to 325 °. In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla. Blend using a hand mixer. Add dry ingredients to wet and continue to blend. Grease two 9" round baking pans (I also cut 2 circles from parchment paper to line bottom of pans). Pour batter into pans, dividing evenly. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool before removing from pans.

Glaze:
  • 4 oz Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips 
  • 3 TB grass-fed butter
  • 3 tsp coconut milk
  • 3 tsp raw honey
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Melt chocolate chips and butter in heavy saucepan over med-lo heat. When melted and smooth, remove pan from heat. Add milk, honey, and vanilla. Stir til smooth and glossy. Let glaze cool about 3 minutes before pouring onto cakes. Pour half glaze in middle of first cake layer. Use rubber spatula to spread glaze evenly over the cake allowing glaze to run down sides a little. Add second cake layer and repeat, allowing glaze to run evenly down sides of the cake. Use extra chocolate chips to decorate.


*I made this the night before the party and refrigerated. I took it out the next morning, and it was still a little firm 4 hours later. I let it sit out all day and night since my fridge was full, and the following day it was SO moist! I (personally) think it would be best served either immediately while glaze and cakes are still warm, or at least at room temp. I did have a couple people mention they liked it firm, so I guess it all depends on your preference. I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment