Friday, July 13, 2012

Pork Ribs and Mashed Potatoes

Last night, I made my first ribs, ever! I really wanted to let my husband cook them, but as I mentioned yesterday, my freezers were packed before I went to Ovis Hill, and so the ribs had to stay in the fridge. I had no choice but to go ahead and cook them myself before they spoiled. My husband gave me a few tips, and I figured I'd just keep it simple and skipped the sauce. Grass-fed/pastured meat is so good on its own, it really doesn't take much to turn it into a wonderful meal. I was very proud of how well these ribs turned out. This is our first time eating pastured pork ribs, and they were really great. I'm sure there are many better ways to cook pork ribs, so I'd love to read your recipes. Please leave a comment below! Since I didn't screw these up, I'd love to make more some time. I have read that grass-fed beef cooks 30% faster than grain-fed beef, which is true in our experience. I believe this is true for pastured pork as well. I'd planned 2.5-3 hours for cooking these ribs in the oven. They started smelling good in a little over 30 minutes, started smelling really good after 1 hour, and so I finally checked in after 1.5 hours, and it was completely done! Maybe even a little over-done for some. I should've listened to my nose at the hour mark. One thing I've found about buying good quality meat, it's hard to screw it up, lol. We have over-cooked grass-fed beef and pastured pork a few times, and they still turn out awesome. They don't seem to get dry or tough nearly as much as commercial meats do. I served with homemade mashed potatoes, roasted zucchini, and fresh tomato slices. Here are my recipes:


Baked Pork Ribs
  • St Louis Style Pastured Pork Ribs, 4.5 lbs
  • Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika
  • 2 cups water
 Generously sprinkle your favorite spices on one side of ribs, rub in well. Flip ribs and do the same on the second side and edges of meat. Cut the ribs to fit broiler pan where meat is not hanging over any pan edges. I slightly overlapped mine in the middle. Pour 2 cups of water down in the drip pan. Cover with foil. (I don't know if it's necessary, but I sprayed my foil with non-stick spray before covering meat, jic.) Allow a little space between the meat and foil, and secure foil well around pan to ensure all moisture stays inside with the meat. Bake 375° for 1-1.5 hours (for pastured pork) or til done. 

 Purple Mashed Potatoes
  • Purple Potatoes, bite-sized pieces (skin and all)
  • Minced Garlic
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Almond Milk, unsweetened
  • Coconut Oil
 Add salt and minced garlic to boiling water. Add potatoes, return to boil, and boil gently til tender. Drain potatoes well and add back to hot pot, set back on stove (turned off) to help remove any leftover water in the potatoes. Add coconut oil, garlic powder, pepper, salt. Beat with hand mixer to break up potatoes and blend spices. Add almond milk, a little at a time, and continue to mix til potatoes are smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.

The zucchini were sliced and tossed with coconut oil, s&p, and roasted for 25 minutes at 400°. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment