Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sausage & Eggplant Casserole

This is my first experiment with our new sausage from US Wellness Meats. I had plenty of eggplant to be used, and I just sorta threw it all into one dish. I like boiling the eggplant because it removes all bitterness, and the girls eat it best this way. I served the casserole with a side of chard from Ovis Hill. Chard is pretty strong, so I just chopped it, added it to shallow boiling water, and kept adding things in til it tasted alright. I think I used salt, pepper, minced garlic, nutmeg, vinegar, pork grease, and finally 4 drops of Sweetleaf Liquid Stevia, which seemed to help tone it down a bit. My youngest asked for seconds of everything, including the greens, so I call that a success. Hope you enjoy!

Sausage & Eggplant Casserole
  • 2-3 medium eggplants, peeled & chopped
  • 1 lb ground pastured pork
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • pepper
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 pastured eggs, beaten
 Preheat oven to 350°. Cook eggplant in boiling water approx 12 min or til tender. Drain and let stand. Cook sausage, Italian seasoning, pepper, onion, and garlic til sausage cooked through. Drain excess fat, reserve for other dishes. In a large bowl, combine eggplant, sausage mixture, eggs, and salt. Mix well, sort of chopping the eggplant as you go, and pour into a greased 9x9 casserole dish. (Optional: dust with Parmesan cheese.) Bake 40-45 minutes or til egg cooked throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment