Thursday, July 12, 2012

US Wellness Meats

We buy most of our meats (primarily our beef) from Ovis Hill Farm, and we love it! The pork is usually limited, so I've still been buying some of that commercially. Well, the last store-bought ground sausage I ate was just...NOT good. It tasted rubbery to me, and I decided I was gonna take a chance and order pork online. I have read many times about people swearing by US Wellness Meats for quality, healthy meats. I was particularly looking for ground pork, and I found Compassionate Certified Pork (no growth stimulants or antibiotics and outdoor access). There is a $75 minimum order, some items can be purchased at a bulk rate, no additional shipping costs, except for a $7.50 handling fee per total order. Here's what I ordered:

(12) 1 lb rolls of Compassionate Certified Ground Natural Pork $7.26/lb
-10% bulk discount
+$7.50 handling fee
=$85.86 (or $7.15 per lb)


The company only ships Monday through Wednesday, and because of the holiday, my order got bumped to July 9th for shipping, as I suspected it might. That was fine by me, but, boy, I couldn't wait for it to get here so I could try it. It arrived July 10th, everything well packed and still frozen. I was so nervous about this order since no one I know personally has tried it. I figured since I desperately wanted better pork, we'd be the guinea pig and could then share our thoughts with y'all. When I first opened a thawed package, I took a big whiff and smelled nothing, lol. The smell is totally neutral. I started frying it up in a skillet, and then came the aroma. To be honest, my first thought was, "This smells like a pig pen!" You can really smell the natural environment. I thought it was a bit weird, but I kept picturing a happy pig out in the open, doing it's thing, rooting and rolling around in mud. I seasoned the meat with Italian seasoning, onions, garlic, and pepper. Here's a picture of the cooked meat, and I don't know how much you can tell from the picture about the meat, but I wanted to show the fat that's drained over to the top right corner. It is a lot of fat, we are talking ground pork here, but I've never seen pork fat that looks like this. It is clear and neutral tasting. I strained the fat off and saved for later use.
The verdict? I think I am in love! I am very happy about my purchase. This pork is tender and clean. NO rubbery taste here. The pork comes unseasoned, so I am excited to be able to take it different directions, from Italian dinner pork to breakfast sausage and whatever else we can stir up! If anyone is interested in checking them out, I have a banner on the home page, upper right-hand corner (referral link). I think this is a great option for healthy meats! We will def be ordering from them again. They have a lot to choose from: beef, lamb, poultry, pork, seafood, bison, pet food, and so much more. If anyone has any experience with this company or any other resources for healthy meats, please share with us! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment