Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fish Sticks Recipe

I've not had a lot of success baking white fish, so I usually don't buy much of it. But...I've found a new reason to buy more...homemade fish sticks! I got a hankering for fish sticks today and started googling. I found several recipes, all very similar. I am using a variation of Elana's recipe. These were awesome! Everyone loved them, and we will certainly have them again. I used wild-caught flounder I bought at Costco a few weeks ago. I also used almond meal and coconut flour since that's what I had, and so the fish sticks had a slightly nutty flavor, but we didn't mind at all. You can use blanched almond flour and/or coconut flour if you prefer. The fish was flaky and much tastier than those minced fish sticks we used to buy, not to mention much healthier! My sides were roasted zucchini and squash in beef fat (from my chilled beef bone broth) and steamed broccoli. Hope you enjoy!

Fish Sticks
  • 4 Flounder filets
  • 2 pastured Eggs, whisked
  • 3/4 c Almond Meal
  • 1/4 c Coconut Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • Coconut Oil, for frying
  1. Rinse fish fillets in cold water and set on a plate
  2. Cut fish into 1 inch by 5 inch pieces, following the lines of the fillets and removing any bones
  3. Place eggs in one dish and flour and salt in another
  4. Dip fish sticks in egg, then flour; reserve to a plate
  5. Put about 3 TB coconut oil in a skillet and heat oil on medium-low
  6. Place the fish sticks in the pan, leaving enough room around them so that they aren't crowded
  7. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until well browned, then remove fish sticks to a plate lined with a paper towel, sprinkle with salt if desired
  8. If using almond meal, you may need to clean out crumbs between batches to keep from burning. Add more oil to pan and fry another batch of fish sticks, repeat if needed
  9. Serve with homemade dipping sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment