Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ovis Hill Trip

We have been reading great benefits to regularly consuming bone broth, so I stocked up this trip when I found a good selection of a few different varieties of bones. We've only made a few batches of bone broth, and I believe it will take time to figure out how to get them right. All the recipes I've found use the same basic instructions: use good quality bones (from pastured and grass-fed animals), use just enough water to cover bones, add couple splashes good apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) to release more minerals from the bone, and some use salt. Cook gently and up to a few days, depending on the bones being cooked. A good bone broth, when chilled, will have lots of gelatin. You can warm up a cup with a meal or in-between. Bone broth can also be used in your favorite recipes. Our first batch was lamb bone broth, and I think that's my favorite way to eat lamb as I'm not a big lamb meat fan. The girls loved it too. I bought bones especially for broth, but we also save bones from our meats and add to separate bags in the freezer, saving for even more bone broth. Bone broth and organ meat are very inexpensive ways to get super nutrition! My freezers are packed after this trip, and this should hold us for a while.

Today's trip includes:
8 dozen pastured eggs, $4/doz
drumsticks $2.99/lb
organic tomatoes $2.75
chicken liver $2/lb
dog beef bones, lamb soup bones,  $2/lb
chicken necks, chicken backs, $1.25/lb (50% off)
low-pasteurized grass-fed milk $6.50
Total: $85.93

No comments:

Post a Comment