Friday, August 31, 2012

Tomato-Basil Meatloaf

 We all know how to make meatloaf, right? It's just beef, spices, eggs and some other kind of binder, and a tomato product. But don't you just love making one that turns out a little different and extra good? I thought this one did, and I think the rest of the family did too. I made a 2 lb meatloaf and there was only a sliver left to put in the fridge at the end of the night. We sure love meatloaf in this house! To me, there's not much better than the smell of meatloaf baking  in the oven. It always comforts me and makes my mouth water. This version is still simple, but by adding a whole can of tomato paste in the meatloaf and extra basil, it puts just a little twist on our usual. Here's how I made this one:

Tomato-Basil Meatloaf
  • 2 lbs grass-fed beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 oz can Contadina Organic Tomato Paste
  • 2 TB onion flakes
  • 1 TB minced garlic
  • 2 TB dried basil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp pink sea salt
  •  1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup almond meal
Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add tomato paste and spices. Mix well. Add almond meal and meat. Mix by hand. Place in an 8x8 baking dish, or form into a loaf in a larger glass dish. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or til no longer pink inside.

I served ours with avocado slices, homemade potato chips (fried in coconut oil), roasted squash (seasoned with s&p and basil, and coated with coconut oil, 450° for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through), and sliced cucumbers. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment