Friday, August 31, 2012

Snack Idea for Kids: Homemade Fruit and Nut Bars

My girls love to eat, and I think they do very well eating whole foods: they eat their veggies, protein, fruits and nuts, but I wanted some sort of new snack for them to have on occasion. There are a few decent bars out there, some organic, some with pretty simple ingredients, but gosh they are expensive. I only pick them up once in a while, because of questionable ingredients and cost. I found Fruit N' Bars recipes here on Everyday Paleo and was eager to give them a shot! Her recipes calls for dates, but I wasn't gonna go buy more dried fruit when we had plenty in the fridge waiting to be used. The girls and I made these this morning, and we think they turned out quite well! I made a half recipe, which should have yielded (8) 2 inch squares, but I turned that into 16 since they are REALLY sweet and I think that size is fine for my girls. Here's our version:

Almond Fig Bars
Pulse nuts and salt in food processor, keeping some of the nuts chunky (I used my Magic Bullet). Pour nuts into a medium bowl, add cinnamon and stir. Add the dried fruits to the processor and process til a paste is formed. (If you are using a Magic Bullet, I'd suggest processing the fruit in small batches, maybe a handful at a time.) Add the fruit paste to nuts. Go ahead and grease a baking sheet with coconut oil or grass-fed butter, and take out some plastic wrap, before you get your hands all sticky. Kneed the fruit and nuts together in bowl until well mixed. Make into a ball and push down onto greased baking sheet. Cover ball with plastic wrap and use a rolling pin or glass bottle to roll out mixture to desired thickness. Cut into 2 inch squares and serve. These can be refrigerated if desired. I'm already planning our next batch and think raw cacao powder would make some awesome chocolate bars! Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment