Friday, August 3, 2012

Shrimp Curry

My husband and I fell in love with Thai several years back, and we ate it as often as we could over a couple of years, before the kids came along, lol. We loved it so much so that we bought this huge Thai Cuisine book, but we never did cook anything from it. I think it was because we didn't have any of those traditional Thai ingredients on hand and would have to basically buy everything on the list for any given recipe. But now, coconut milk is a staple in our home, so I happened to have what I thought was the most important ingredient to pull off this dish. This is my first attempt at Thai, and I thought it turned out really well! It was mild for Thai, but I wanted to ease the girls into it since they've never had Thai before. The pan got cleaned out! The original recipe (found here) uses mushrooms, lots of other spices that I didn't have, and no meat, so I'm sure that version is much better. I had several things left from last week's CSA basket and the party that I needed to use before tomorrow's new CSA pickup! I think this is a pretty flexible recipe, just use what you have, but be sure to use coconut milk (from the can), it really makes the dish complete! I used a lot more tomato and less eggplant because that's what I had, and I also changed up the eggplant process to save time. I loved it! Hope you enjoy!

Shrimp Curry
  • 1 lb wild caught shrimp, thawed & peeled
  • 2 eggplants, peeled and chopped
  • 1 TB coconut oil
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 small red onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
  •  2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk, unsweetened
  • salt & pepper, to taste
 Roast eggplant pieces on greased sheet at 450° for 30 minutes or til tender. Heat oil in skillet over Med-Lo heat. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, don't burn. Add onions and chili powder. Sautee 5 minutes. Add rosemary (or any Thai spices you have), stir well and cook 2 minutes. Add shrimp. Cook 5 minutes or til shrimp is almost done. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Turn heat up to medium to get tomatoes cooking. Cook about 5 minutes or til tomatoes are tender. Rough chop the roasted eggplant and add to skillet. Add coconut milk. Turn heat to Lo and simmer 8-10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment