Monday, November 5, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

Fall has always been my favorite season, but oh my goodness! This is the first year I've really been able to appreciate all the wonder foods Fall brings...apples, butternut squash, sweet potatoes...yummy! Lately, we've been getting 2 butternut squashes in each of our CSA baskets. I figured I'd try several different butternut squash recipes to help keep us from getting bored with them. So far, I've made about 4 batches of this soup (it is good, but dang, my girls tear it up!), butternut squash fries, butternut squash rounds, and butternut squash breakfast hash. My favorites are the soup and the hash. The soup is smooth and warm, just right for these cool Fall days!

I found the original soup recipe at The Food Lovers Kitchen. I've made this soup with and without onion, and I didn't notice much difference in taste, but my husband says he could tell. I have so many onions to use, I decided to keep them in the recipe for now, and the added nutrients never hurts. I've also played with the spices a little, and this is the one I like best so far.

As for the chicken stock, I was running low on my homemade stock, so I've been supplementing with Swanson 100% Natural Chicken Broth (no MSG) that has been in my cabinet since last year. I did pick up 2 organic chickens from Costco this weekend, so hopefully I'll get to make more stock soon. If I run out, I may have to look for some organic free range stock to get me by. Maybe Santa will bring me a new crockpot for Christmas!

Hope you enjoy!


Butternut Squash Soup

1 whole butternut squash, peeled and chopped (remove seeds and stringy pulp as well)
1 whole onion, chopped
1 quart organic chicken stock
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
2 TB coconut oil

Sautee onion in coconut oil in a large pot. Add the spices and stir. Add butternut squash and pour in broth. Boil til squash is tender. Puree soup in food processor or blender til smooth. Garnish with sprinkle of pumpkin spice and/or cinnamon. Add a few chopped walnuts, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment