Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Yesterday, lunch time rolled around before I'd received my CSA basket, so I didn't have much for veggie choices except some starchy stuff. My 4 year old looked in the fridge, grabbed a carrot, and told me that was what she wanted for lunch. Naturally, my 2 year old repeated. I said no, we aren't eating cold carrots on this cold day in this cold house. We need to cook something! So after "But, mom!", I plopped the girls on the counter, grabbed their two carrots and a sweet potato, and proceeded to peel and grate. As I grated, they ate shredded carrots, which bought me enough time to throw these awesome hash browns together. Admittedly, I was aiming for Vegetable Pancakes, but I was in a hurry and missed an egg, so they turned out more like hash browns (even better!). I didn't measure anything, so just eye ball this. I couldn't decide between salt or cinnamon, so I used both! Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Sweet Potato Hash Browns
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled & shredded
  • 2 large carrots, peeled & shredded
  • 1 pastured egg
  • salt
  • cinnamon
  • pumpkin spice
  • coconut oil (or grass-fed butter)
Take about 1 cup of shredded vegetables at a time, place in a dish towel, and squeeze out as much water as you can from the vegetables (I didn't get much water from these, but I still think it's a good idea to include this step and remove as much water as you can). Add to a large bowl, add egg, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon. Mix well. Heat skillet over Med to Med-Lo heat. Add a good coating of oil to the pan. Once oil is hot, add about 1/4 c of mixture into oil and lightly pat with fork into a small patty shape. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or til nice and browned. Sprinkle with salt (optional) or more cinnamon. Serve hot. Makes 6-8 patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment