Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade Mayo!






I am SO excited to share this recipe with y'all! I have been looking for the "right" homemade mayonnaise recipe for a while now. Most store-bought mayo is made with unhealthy soybean or canola oil. Another problem is all the added ingredients like guar gum and modified corn starch. Raw eggs are pretty safe when they come from healthy chickens. But, since eggs used for most supermarket mayo have come from unhealthy battery raised chickens, the eggs are unsafe to consume raw! So, the eggs have to be cooked and unpronounceable things are added to fix the mayo made from cooked eggs. I would not make this recipe from any store bought eggs. I would only use farm fresh eggs from pastured chickens. You can read more about raw egg safety here. I was nervous about making this at first. But after a lot of reading, I finally gave it a go! Credit for this recipe goes to Sarah at Everday Paleo. She also has a video to go with this. I've read that a lot of people making their first homemade mayo have trouble with constistency and/or taste. I figured there was a good chance my first attempt wouldn't turn out well, so I only made half the recipe and used some old extra virgin olive oil. I followed her directions carefully and made notes from the video, and it came out quite well. It was way too salty, and I knew it would be too olive-y tasting from using the evoo, but I was impressed that the consistency was so great! So, this weekend, I picked up the recommended regular olive oil, and made my first REAL MAYO today. It turned out so great! I am very pleased! I don't know how long it will last, I've read anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. So I 'll update if/when it goes bad. I have a feeling it won't last that long! This made roughly 1.5 cups. I thought using the magic bullet might be too fast for this recipe, and I don't think the bullet is meant to run more than a couple minutes at a time. I just used my old, regular blender and went very slowly on the lowest possible speed. So, finally, here's my version of that recipe. I cut way down on the salt and skipped the cayenne pepper. Hope you enjoy! If you have any questions, please leave a comment below!
Homemade Mayo

  • 1 pastured egg, room temp
  • 1 TB apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 cup regular "Lighter Flavor" olive oil
  • 1/8 tsp pink salt
In a blender, add egg, vinegar, and mustard. Blend well. Leave blender running, very slowly! Add oil, drop by drop or slow drizzle. As thickens, you can add a litter faster, but still slowly. Turn off blender when reaches desired consistency. Add the salt and mix well. Blend again for a few more seconds. For variations, add seasonings.

A few extra tips: 
  • Egg should be room temp. 
  • Do NOT use extra virgin olive oil because the olive flavor is very over-powering.  You'll need to use plain olive oil for this, which has a much lighter taste. 
  • Go VERY slowly when adding the oil. I believe this is key to having a good consistency mayonnaise. 
UPDATE 10/22/2012: I've found the lighter flavor olive oil is even better for this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment