Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cabbage Taco Wraps

Earlier in the week, I used one of my organic chickens from Costco to make chicken stock,
mild chicken taco meat, and chicken salad. I went with taco meat so I could use up the tomatillos left over from my previous basket. I've been staring at that delicious taco meat in my fridge with nothing to wrap around it. I didn't receive any lettuce or spinach in this week's CSA basket (the baskets are always a surprise...love that!), but I figured cabbage might do the job well enough. And, it did! So here's what I came up with:


Chicken Taco Meat
  • 4 c pulled chicken (cooked)
  • 4 tomatillos, roasted
  • 2 tsp taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 can unsweetened organic tomato sauce
  • 1/4 c Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Add roasted tomatillos, taco seasoning, chili powder, and ground cumin to blender and pulse til desired consistency, whether chunky or smooth. Heat oil in a large pot. Add the tomatillo mixture, tomato sauce, and salsa to the pot and combine. Add the cooked chicken, salt and pepper. Stir well and heat through. Simmer for another 10 minutes and adjust seasonings, if desired.



Cabbage Taco Wraps
Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and wash about 6 cabbage leaves. Cut extra large leaves in half, along the stem. Remove the thickest part of the rib with a knife.

Center desired amount of meat along the center of each leaf. 
Lightly grease a large baking dish with evoo. Fold in sides of the cabbage leaf and roll up. Place in baking dish, seam side down.
Drizzle the wraps with evoo and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake 30 minutes at 350°, or til cabbage has reached your desired texture.
I really was surprised at how well these turned out. I think this would also be great with beef taco meat. We managed to save Keith a few for when he got home. He topped his with my homemade mayo for a little more fat and said they were awesome! 

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment